Document Members Allowances and Subsistence

Library homeMembers AllowancesMembers Allowances and Subsistence
Each Councillor is allowed to claim an allowance to meet the basic costs of being a Councillor. For those who hold positions of additional responsibility there is a Special Responsibility Allowance (SRA) on top of the basic allowance. The current Members' Allowances Scheme can be seen in Article 6 of the Council's Constitution. These allowances vary depending on the responsibility and additional work that accompanies that position. Mileage claims also vary. It should be noted that allowances paid are based on the amounts recommended by the Independent Remuneration Panel. The Independent Remuneration Panel operates under the provisions of the Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) Regulations 2003. These regulations require that all councils should set up independent panels and take account of their advice before agreeing their councillors' allowances scheme. The panel consists of five people; one from the voluntary and community sector, two to represent business interests and two members of the public.
Library view optionsClassic