Venue: Buckland Athletic Football Club, Kingskerswell Rd, Newton Abbot, TQ12 5JU. View directions
To confirm the minutes of the last meeting.
It was proposed by Councillor J Petherick and seconded by Councillor Nuttall that the minutes of the previous meeting be agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
A vote was taken.
That the minutes of the previous meeting be agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chair.
The Senior Planning Officer presented the application to the Committee.
Public Speaker, Objector – Spoke on:
· 67 objections
· No public consultation
· Traffic concerns
· Lack of ecological survey
· Bat concerns
· Presence of applicant on site necessary
· Conditions needed for environment and management
Public Speaker, Supporter – Spoke on:
· Local applicant
· Popular site
· Run down site before purchasing
· Attractive environment
· EV charging stations
· Vehicle storage
· Support from English Heritage
Comments from Councillors included
· Lack of public consultation
· Management plan condition
· Timing of bat survey
· Narrow roads
· Devon County Council is satisfied
· AGLV criteria
· Control of lighting
· 11pm BBQ time limit is too late
· Avoid conflicting with national policy
· Caravans are too similar to chalets
· Residents would likely travel around the district
· No heritage opposition
· Support expansion and improvement
· Encourage tourism
· Poor access
In response Officers clarified that
· Landscape survey not requested
· Bat survey carried out
· Condition 19 for management
· Consulting is not mandatory
· AGLV development, must enhance area
· Environmental health team agreed 11pm time limit
· Biodiversity officer SAC screening
· Broadly conforms to national policy
· Sustainability provided in the fact that it is a domestic holiday destination
It was proposed by Councillor J Hook and seconded by Councillor Colclough that permission be refused due to sustainability and traffic concerns.
A vote was taken – see attached.
That permission be refused for the following reasons
1. Environmentally unsustainable
2. Impact on traffic
Note on refusal
The decision to refuse this application was contrary to officer recommendation. The application was considered unacceptable due to the increased traffic on narrow roads and the lack of sustainability, as well as public opposition and large scale of the application.
The Major Decision Summary sheet was noted by the Committee.
The Committee noted the appeal decisions made by the Planning Inspectorate.