Venue: Council Chamber, Forde House, Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, TQ12 4XX. View directions
Declarations of Interest
Local Government (Access to Information) Act 1985 - Exclusion of Press and Public
RECOMMENDED that, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in the relevant paragraphs 1 and 2 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.
The Sub-Committee agreed that the matter should be heard in public in the interests of openness and transparency.
The Sub Committee considered the published report.
Attached is the live stream Standards Committee - Tuesday, 6th July 2021 at 12:00pm - Teignbridge District Council Webcasting (public-i.tv)
The Committee resolved to go into confidential session to consider the Investigator’s recommendations regarding the alleged breaches of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
RESOLVED that having made a finding of facts as set out in its Decision Notice, the Sub-Committee concludes that Cllr Patch breached Paragraph 4.7 of the Members’ Code of Conduct (May 2019) as provided for in the Decision Notice and that:-
(1) Cllr Patch be publicly censured for bringing his office of councillor into disrepute and consequently, the full decision notice should be published;
(2) The Sub-Committee wanted it recorded that it also considered that Cllr Patch’s conduct towards those investigating the matter and at times at the hearing was disrespectful and intimidatory. Such behaviour was clearly unacceptable and well below the standards expected of councillors; and
RECOMMENDED to the council’s Procedures Committee for consideration;
(1) The council’s Procedural Rules should be amended so that councillors serving on the Planning Committee are no longer permitted to vote on applications within their ward;
(2) Motion to Approve/Refuse/Defer Planning Applications should be made at the end of a debate on the application, which would allow any questions raised during debate to be answered;
(3) All Councillors be reminded that the deadline for submission of new information on planning applications being considered by the Planning Committee is midnight Thursday prior to the meeting and no later; and
(4) Any new information or submissions regarding planning applications should be submitted to the planning email address.
Full Decision notice attached.