Venue: Long Room, Old Forde House, Brunel Road, Newton Abbot, TQ15 4XX. View directions
Declarations of interest
Report of the Independent Remuneration Panel PDF 508 KB
Independent Renumeration Panel response to the Procedures Committee comments will be circulated prior to the meeting.
Members discussed the Independent Renumeration Panel recommendations.
They raised the following points:-
· There was not a need for recommendation 1 it was negated by recommendation 2
· The Overview and Scrutiny Committee Chairs should report to Annual Council in May 2023 on the work they have undertaken in 22/23 to enable the new Council to review the Scrutiny Structure and work of the Scrutiny committees
· The recommendation for the Chair and Deputy Chair of Council should not be split between allowance and support budget; work should be undertaken within 12 months to undertake a comparison of this allowance with Councils in Devon
· A review of the Taxi Policy should be undertaken and added to the Executive Forward Plan
· An alternative tiered approach to the Group Leaders allowance could be an option rather than a threshold of a minimum of five group members to trigger a Group Leaders allowance
· The current Standards Chair allowance does not reflect the current work and time commitment of the role
· The travel and subsistence should be reviewed to encourage sustainable travel with reference to the allowance for cycling and train travel
· Parental leave policy would need further review to include foster cares, paternity entitlement and how to address confidentially with regards to the six-month attendance legislation
· The approved duties should include attending a Teignbridge District Council meeting only not Town and Parish meetings
RECOMMENDED to Full Council to accept the recommendations below:-
1) That the basic allowance continue to be upgraded in line with the percentage increase for LGE staff pay award for the previous year. However, for instances of a flat rate award (e.g. £1,925 each to all staff) the increase for Members Allowances be equivalent to the average percentage increase for the LGE staff pay award;
2) That there is no increase in the special responsibility allowance for the Leader and the Deputy Leader of the Council;
3) That there is no increase to the special responsibility allowances for Executive Members and the Executive Member without Portfolio;
4) That there be no increase in the special responsibility allowances for the Chairs and Vice Chairs of Overview and Scrutiny Committees and a the Overview and Scrutiny Committee Chairs should report to Annual Council in May 2023 on the work they have undertaken in 22/23 to enable the new Council to review the Scrutiny Structure and work of the Scrutiny committees;
5) The special responsibility allowances for the Chair and Deputy Chair of Council remain as the status quo and a review should be undertaken within 12 months to ascertain what Councils in Devon do in respect of this allowance and expenses;
6) The special responsibility allowances for the Chair and Deputy Chair of Planning remain as the status quo;
7) The special responsibility allowances for the Chair of Audit Scrutiny Committee remain as the status quo;
8) That no special responsibility allowance continue for the Vice Chair of Audit Scrutiny Committee;
9) That the special responsibility allowances for the Chair and Deputy Chair of ... view the full minutes text for item 17.
Revisions to the Constitution PDF 110 KB
RESOLVED that the report be deferred to enable Group Leaders to submit their groups’ written comments to the Monitoring Officer for ease of reference by a date towards the end of November 2022.