The report to accept the Future High Street Funding offer and agree the delivery strategy was presented.
A Non-Executive Member raised concerns including the detrimental effect that the loss of on-street short term parking in Queen Street could have on businesses in the area.
The Head of Place and Commercial Services gave a presentation to Members (attached to minutes). A revised recommendation was presented the reason for making the changes was to be more specific about what Executive were asking Full Council to approve. This revised recommendation was agreed by Executive.
Executive Members welcomed the proposals to enhance Newton Abbot Town Centre and thanked officers for their work on the project.
(1) The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government funding of £9,199,364 offered as part of the Future High Streets programme be accepted;
(2) The Market Hall proposals be approved in principle, further engagement with key stakeholders will continue on detailed design phase for the internal layout;
RECOMMENDED to Council that, as detailed in this report:-
(3) The National Cycle Route 2 proposals (as per paragraph 2.3 of the report) and associated Council budget (excluding external funding) of £22,633 be approved;
(4) The Queen Street proposals (as per paragraph 2.4 of the report) and associated Council budget (excluding external funding) of £81,277 be approved;
(5) The Market Hall proposals (as per paragraph 2.5 of the report) and associated Council budget (excluding external funding) of £2,236,489 be approved;
(6) The Council budget (excluding external funding) of £991,921 for the cinema (as per paragraph 2.6 of the report) be approved; and
(7) Delegated authority be given to the Head of Place and Commercial Services (in consultation with the Executive Member for Economy and Jobs and Chief Finance Officer) to finalise the development details and prepare planning applications in line with the timescales set out in Appendix E to this report and to take such other action as is necessary to implement the approved redevelopment of Newton Abbot town entre to which the approved funding scheme relates.
The vote was unanimous.